U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

State Criminal Alien Assistance Program: A Brief History of the Program and Awards Granted

NCJ Number
David D. Clark
Date Published
22 pages
The State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) represents an expansion of Federal reimbursement to states for costs incurred as a result of incarcerating criminal aliens, and the New York State Department of Correctional Services (DCS) received SCAAP funds in 1995 through 1999.
The Department of Justice Appropriations Acts of 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 provided the following funds for each year, respectively, for distribution to states under SCAAP: $130 million, $500 million, $500 million, $585 million, and $585 million. Beginning in 1996, about 70 percent of SCAAP funds were appropriated directly to SCAAP; the remaining 30 percent were redirected from the Violent Offender Incarceration and Truth in Sentencing incentive grants to SCAAP. Under SCAAP, the term "undocumented criminal alien" includes aliens who illegally enter the United States without being inspected by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, aliens who stay in the United States after their visas have expired, and aliens who are the subject of exclusion of deportation proceedings. The DCS received the following SCAAP funds: $13.4 million in 1995, $46.8 million in 1996, $60.9 million in 1997, $55.9 million in 1998, and $54 million in 1999. The DCS continues to maintain incarcerated criminal aliens are a Federal responsibility, continues to work cooperatively with Federal agencies responsible for immigration matters, and supports the continuation of SCAAP at current or greater funding levels. Appendixes contain additional information on SCAAP, a list of SCAAP awards by state, and a chart showing application deadlines and award dates for the 1995-1999 period. 2 tables