3.9 Allowable Costs
Travel expenses are allowable costs for employees who are in travel status on official business related to the award. These costs must be reasonable and in accordance with the organization’s established travel policy. In absence of an established travel policy, the organization must comply with the Federal travel regulations. See 2 C.F.R. § 200.474.
- The DOJ awarding agency reserves the right to determine the reasonableness of an organization’s travel policy.
- Recipients and subrecipients must follow their own established travel policies.
- If a recipient or subrecipient does not have an established travel policy, they must abide by the Federal travel policy including per diem rates.
- The current travel policy and per diem rate information is available at the Per Diem rates section of the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) website
Foreign travel is defined as any travel outside of Mexico, Canada and the United States and its Territories and possessions.
- For an award recipient or subrecipient located outside Mexico, Canada and the United States and its Territories and possessions, foreign travel means travel outside that country.
- Prior approval is required for all foreign travel (see Chapter 3.6).