Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships
The Department of Justice Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives was established on January 29, 2001 by Executive Order 13199, issued by President George W. Bush. The objective was to coordinate agency efforts for the elimination of regulatory, contracting and other programmatic obstacles so as to enable faith-based and community organizations to access resources they need to provide vital social and community services.
On February 5, 2009, President Barack Obama amended the executive order, establishing the President's Advisory Council for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships and changing the name of the initiative to the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
The DOJ Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships coordinates the department's outreach to faith-based and non-profit organizations. The Center leads DOJ's efforts to develop partnerships with and provide information to faith-based and community organizations and expand their participation in DOJ initiatives.
- Coordinate a comprehensive departmental effort to incorporate faith-based and other community organizations in department programs and initiatives to the greatest extent possible;
- Propose initiatives to remove barriers to the participation of faith-based and community organizations in Department of Justice programs and/or initiatives, including but not limited to reform of regulations, procurement, and other internal policies and practices, and outreach activities;
- Propose the development of innovative pilot and demonstration programs to increase the participation of faith-based and other community organizations in federal, as well as state and local, initiatives; and
- Develop and coordinate Department of Justice outreach efforts to disseminate information more effectively to faith-based and other community organizations with respect to programming changes, contracting opportunities, and other department initiatives, including but not limited to, Web and Internet resources.
Policy Guidelines & Regulations:
- Executive Order 13199 Establishing the White House Office (January 29, 2001)
- Amendments to Executive Order 13279 (December 12, 2002) PDF Size: 187 KB
- Amendments to Executive Order 13498 (February 5, 2009)