Freedom of Information Act
Office of Justice Programs processes Freedom of Information Act requests only for OJP. Please refer to the Department of Justice (DOJ) FOIA website for the appropriate DOJ component(s) that may maintain the type of documents you are seeking.
OJP FOIA Contact
Office of Justice Programs
Office of the General Counsel
Attention: FOIA Staff
810 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20531
FOIA Requester Service Center: 202-307-6235
FOIA Public Liaison: Carolyn Kennedy, 202-307-0790
The OJP Library includes some frequently requested records, major information systems and staff manuals created by OJP on or after November 1, 1996.
In August 2015, OJP participated in the White House Open Government Initiative, a six-month pilot program to test the feasibility of publishing online the records released to individual requesters under the FOIA. OJP's participation in the pilot program is limited to records requested after August 3, 2015, and maintained by the Bureau of Justice Assistance. The OJP FOIA Library includes those records related to OJP's participation in this program. The pilot program excludes records that fall under the Privacy Act of 1974.
OJP provides innovative leadership to federal, state, local and tribal justice systems, by disseminating state-of-the art knowledge and practices across America and providing grants for the implementation of these crime-fighting strategies. OJP works in partnership with the justice community to identify the most pressing crime-related challenges confronting the justice system and provide information, training, coordination and innovative strategies and approaches for addressing these challenges. For more information on each OJP program office, please follow the links listed below:
- Bureau of Justice Assistance
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- National Institute of Justice
- Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Office for Victims of Crime
- Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering and Tracking Office
In addition, OJP maintains compliance information related to grants in the following offices:
- Office for Civil Rights
- Office of Audit, Assessment and Management
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Privacy Impact Assessments
- Privacy Impact Assessment for the Grants Management System
- Privacy Impact Assessment for the Electronic System for Personnel
- Privacy Impact Assessment for Security Activities Reporting System
- Privacy Impact Assessment for Web-based Standard Form 269
DOJ Guide to the FOIA
DOJ Guide to the Freedom of Information Act: A comprehensive guide to the FOIA that serves as a handbook for obtaining information from the Department of Justice, including OJP.
Other reference materials:
- Overview of the Privacy Act of 1974
- Your Right to Federal Records
- Freedom of Information Act Infographic
Information Required to Make a FOIA Request
There are no special forms required. However, for requesting first party records see: What are the requirements to get records on myself?
To make a FOIA request for:
- OJP records - Submit your request to: FOIAOJP@usdoj.gov.
- Other DOJ components - Visit the DOJ Office of Information Policy website at https://www.justice.gov/oip/make-foia-request-doj.
Publicly Available Information for which a FOIA is Not Required
Publications related to law enforcement, criminal justice, juvenile justice and delinquency prevention, and statistical information and analysis.