U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

Summary of OCA Felony Processing 1996-1997

NCJ Number
Linda Davis
Date Published
22 pages
This report provides information and statistics on indictments, felony dispositions, and pending felony cases for New York State for 1997.
The total number of New York State indictments for 1997 was 7 percent below the statewide level for 1996 (4,744 fewer indictments). This decrease occurred in New York City, where felony indictments were down 11.9 percent and felony cases in suburban New York City were down 1.3 percent. Upstate-area felony indictments increased 1.9 percent during the 13 terms of 1997. The total number of felony dispositions for 1997 decreased 4.3 percent compared to 1996 (3,088 fewer dispositions). This decrease was reflected statewide, with New York City down 5.1 percent, followed by suburban New York City dispositions, which were down 2 percent from 1996 levels, and upstate areas, which were down 3.4 percent. The total number of felony cases awaiting disposition decreased 13.8 percent (decrease of 2,865 cases). This decrease in pending dispositions was reflected in New York City, down 17.2 percent, and other upstate areas, down 4.1 percent; in suburban New York City, pending dispositions increased 6 percent compared to the close of 1996. The number of felony dispositions pending for 6 months or more decreased 20.4 percent, from 7,714 for the close of 1996 to 6,141 for the close of 1997. The number of offenders convicted but still awaiting sentence increased 6.9 percent, an increase of 738 convicted offenders. This increase in pending sentence cases occurred only in New York City. Extensive tables and figures


No download available