Review Panel on Prison Rape
On April 15th, 2016, the Review Panel on Prison Rape released its latest report on sexual victimization in prisons, jails, and juvenile correctional facilities. The report is available at the link below.
- Report on Sexual Victimization in Prisons and Jails 2012, April 2012
- Report on Sexual Victimization in Juvenile Correctional Facilities, October 18, 2010
There are no hearings scheduled at this time.
In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003, Public Law 108-79, 117 Stat. 972 (codified as amended at 42 U.S.C. §§ 15601-15609 (2006)), the Attorney General, in consultation with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, appointed the members of the Review Panel on Prison Rape (Panel) on January 1, 2010. Members of the Panel are:
- Anne Seymour, national crime victim advocate for 27 years, specializing in corrections-based victim services.
- Dr. Gary Christensen, President, Corrections Partners, Inc., retired Jail Administrator.
- Dr. Reginald Wilkinson, Director (Ret.), Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.
The Panel is responsible for conducting annual hearings to collect evidence to assist the Bureau of Justice Statistics in identifying common characteristics, not only of victims and perpetrators of prison rape, but also of prisons and prison systems with a high incidence of prison rape and those that have been successful in deterring prison rape.