OCOM strives to make its internship a positive learning experience tailored to the needs or interests of each individual intern. Duties may include the following:
- Reviewing incoming and drafting responses to citizen mail.
- Monitoring and reporting on Congressional hearings, bill mark-ups, news briefings, or other events of interest to OJP.
- Performing legislative and other research.
- Assisting in preparing briefing books and special reports.
- Assisting in analyzing pending legislation.
- Assisting in Congressional notification of grants or other routine administrative duties as needed.
Applications must be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the desired start date to accommodate the required security investigation and FBI fingerprint check. The deadlines for applications are:
- Summer semester - March 15
- Fall semester - July 1
- Spring semester - November 15
Because of the competitive nature of the application process, students are encouraged to apply several weeks before these deadlines.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. To apply, send a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the internship and when you will be available, along with your resume and your current college transcript. Send applications to:Deborah Sheetz
Intern Coordinator, Office of Communications
Office of Justice Programs
810 Seventh Street, NW
Washington, DC 20531