This Guide includes references to the policies and guidance issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The largest division of the Executive Office of the President, OMB is responsible for implementing and enforcing the President’s policies across the entire Federal Government.
On December 26, 2013, OMB issued guidance that provides a government-wide framework for grants management (Federal Register, 12/26/2013). The new guidance, the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 C.F.R. Part 200), streamlines the Federal Government’s administrative, cost, and audit requirements, and has been implemented by DOJ via DOJ regulation at 2 C.F.R. Part 2800.
The guidance superseded the following OMB requirements:
- OMB Circular A-21, Cost Principles for Educational Institutions;
- OMB Circular A-87, Cost Principles for State, Local, and Indian Tribal Governments;
- OMB Circular A-89, Federal Domestic Assistance Program Information;
- OMB Circular A-102, Grant Awards and Cooperative Agreements with State and Local Governments (Common Rule);
- OMB Circular A-110, Uniform Administrative Requirements for Awards and other Agreements, Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals and other Non-Profit Organizations;
- OMB Circular A-122, Cost Principles for Non-Profit Organizations;
- OMB Circular A-133, Audits of States, Local Governments, and Non-Profit Organizations; and
- Sections of OMB Circular A-50, Audit Follow-up.
Financial Management Tip
These requirements, as implemented by DOJ, apply to Federal awards made after December 26, 2014, and the audit requirements apply to audits for fiscal years beginning on or after December 26, 2014.
For Federal awards made before December 26, 2014, absent an agreement otherwise in a Federal award issued after that date, the requirements in place at the time of award continue to apply. These prior requirements may include those above, as well as 28 C.F.R. Parts 66 or 70, and the prior guidance issued by the specific grant-making component (i.e., OJP Financial Guide, OVW Financial Grant Management Guide, COPS Office Grant and Award Owner’s Manuals).
The following requirements remain in place:
- Government-wide Debarment and Suspension (Non-procurement) is codified at 2 C.F.R. Part 180, with DOJ-specific rules at 2 C.F.R. Part 2867.
- Government-wide Requirements for Drug-Free Workplace (Grants) are codified at 28 C.F.R. Part 83.
- Restrictions on lobbying are codified at 28 C.F.R. Part 69.
For additional information on grants management, please visit the Council on Financial Assistance Reform at https://cfo.gov//grants/. The most recently updated version of the CFR can be found on the U.S. Government Printing Office’s website at FDsys - Code of Federal Regulations.