HIGHLIGHTS OF CHAPTER:
- Closeout of Discretionary/Categorical Awards
- Closeout of Formula/Block Awards
- Refund of Federal Grant Monies and/or Program Income at Closeout
CLOSEOUT OF DISCRETIONARY/CATEGORICAL AWARDS
- Cash Reconciliation. The recipient should request reimbursement for any funds due to cover expenditures and obligations (incurred prior to the grant expiration date and liquidated no more than 90 days after the grant expiration date) at award closeout. The recipient expenditures (outlays) must be equal to or greater than the cash disbursements from the awarding agency.
- Drawdown of Funds. Recipients should request final payment for reimbursement of expenditures made within the approved period in conjunction with the final financial status report.
- Recipient Closeout Requirements. Within 120 days after the end date of the award or any approved extension thereof (revised end date), the following documents must be submitted by the recipient to the awarding agency:
- Final Financial Status Report. This FINAL report of expenditures must have no unliquidated obligations and must indicate the exact balance of unobligated funds. Any unobligated/unexpended funds will be deobligated from the award amount of the awarding agency. Recipients on a check-issued basis who have drawn down funds in excess of their obligation/expenditures, shall return unused funds to the awarding agency at the same time they submit the final report. Recipients under LOCES and PAPRS payment system should make adjustments for any cash balances on subsequent requests. (Recipients must report obligations and expenditures at the recipient/subrecipient level.)
- Final Progress Report. This report should be prepared in accordance with instructions provided by the awarding agency.
- Invention Report. All inventions that were conceived or first actually reduced to practice during the course of work under the award project must be listed on this report before closeout.
CLOSEOUT OF FORMULA/BLOCK AWARDS
The timeframe for closeout of formula/block awards is also 120 days from the end date of the award. Cash disbursements and recipient expenditures must be reconciled before closeout.
REFUND OF FEDERAL AWARD MONIES AND/OR PROGRAM INCOME AT CLOSEOUT
If funds must be returned at award closeout, award recipients should remit their check with a cover letter indicating the grant award number, the unobligated balance, and the itemization of returned monies, e.g., excess payments, interest income, program income, questioned costs, etc.
The final SF 269 should report the amount of federal monies returned on line 10 (i) (unobligated balance of federal funds) and any unexpended program income returned in Box 12 (f).
Refund check and letter should be mailed to: Office of Justice Programs, 810 7th Street, NW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20531. ATTN: FUNDS CONTROL BRANCH.