Assisting Tribes With SORNA Implementation
Since the passage of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA), the SMART Office has developed tools, resources, and guidance to assist tribal jurisdictions in their implementation of SORNA.
- In January 2011, the office sponsored two representatives from each SORNA tribal jurisdiction to attend the 2011 SORNA Implementation Workshop. At the workshop, tribal representatives discussed obstacles, devised strategies, and met with state representatives to foster collaborations to improve information sharing. They also received targeted technical assistance focused on capacity building and the types of federal grant funding available to assist with SORNA implementation.
- The SMART Office is working hand-in-hand with a team of consultants to provide guidance on tribal codes, develop policies and procedures, work through the Substantial Implementation Checklist, assist with the identification of funding opportunities, and provide information about the types of activities eligible for funding. The office also recently launched a training and technical assistance project to support tribes. Tribal jurisdictions are encouraged to request technical assistance through the Fox Valley Technical College. Please contact Devin Rieckmann for further information at 9207352572 or 8883701752, ext. 2572.
- The office recently developed two resources to assist tribes in preparing a substantial implementation package and drafting legislation:
- The first resource provides guidance in assembling the appropriate documents, developing policies and procedures, and submitting the package in a way that best informs the SMART Office of the work that has been completed and the tribe's progress toward substantial implementation.
- The second resource, an updated Model Tribal Code, reflects the changes in federal law that came about with the passage of the Tribal Law and Order Act. It is important to understand these changes before submitting a substantial implementation package.
If you have any questions regarding the resources listed above, substantial implementation, technical assistance, or any other issue, please contact
- Allison Turkel
- Juli Ana Grant