Core Elements and Challenges
Tools for Success
To begin operation and institutionalization of their victim services programs, law enforcement agencies at the sites used the following:
- Written materials in multiple languages.
- Publicity tools, such as public service announcements and paid advertisements for print, radio, Internet, television, and billboards; promotional items; regular newspaper columns; and Web sites.
- Memorandums of understanding among agencies.
- Policies and operational procedures for officers and victim services staff.
- Procedures to encourage officers to comply with policy changes, such as requiring them to document on the incident report that they gave the victim a victims' rights brochure.
- Databases for tracking the victim services provided and other case information.
- Needs assessment and evaluation methods and tools.