12th National Indian Nations Conference
The 12th National Indian Nations Conference
—held on December 9-11, 2010, in Palm Springs, California, on the Agua Caliente Reservation—was a success, exceeding previous years’ attendance with over 900 attendees and garnering a multitude of positive comments from attendees:
- "The ability to network is priceless. We are located in a rural area so the opportunity to obtain ideas from other programs is wonderful and a unique opportunity for us."
- "This conference exceeds any expectations I have had... I cannot walk away from this experience without bringing with me a wealth of knowledge."
- "Thank you for creating an outstanding opportunity for people from highly diverse communities and experiences to come together on behalf of crime victims."
- "The love, respect, honor, and tenderness throughout all sessions. The music was wonderful—everything was a blessing to me."
Coordinated by the Tribal Law and Policy Institute under a cooperative agreement from OVC, event highlights included—
- A keynote address by Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr., which is also available in video from the Conference Web site.
- More than 70 workshops led by experts in their fields.
- A panel presentation about the Tribal Law and Order Act featuring John Harte (San Felipe Pueblo), a partner at Mapetsi Policy Group and former policy director on the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.
- A closing keynote address by Larry Echo Hawk (Pawnee Nation), Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Speeches by Hon. William A. Thorne (Pomo/Coast Miwok), Appellate Court Judge, Utah Court of Appeals, and Judge Pro Tem at many different Tribal Courts.
A conference agenda details the breadth of sessions and workshops examining topics such as tribal youth programs; victim’s assistance; suicide prevention; alcohol and substance abuse; community-based partnerships; and domestic violence and sexual assault. Web updates to the Conference Website include video materials and workshop presentation materials in PowerPoint and PDF formats.