3.2 Period of Availability of Funds
Criteria for Award Extension
Requests for a no-cost extension of an award period must be submitted through the Grants Management System (GMS). Recipients are to use the Grant Adjustment Notice (GAN) module in GMS to request the extension.
Award recipients may request a no-cost extension by submitting a GAN at any time after accepting the award, but no later than 30 days prior to the end of the award.
The recipient should act as soon as possible so that the appropriate signatures are received no later than 30 days prior to the end of the award period, allowing the program office sufficient time to process the GAN.
All awards (except for Victims Compensation and Assistance funds) may be awarded an extension of the obligation date in response to a GAN request. The request for extension must state the need for the extension and indicate the additional time required.
The criteria for extending the obligation or expenditure deadline for a project or program include the following:
- All applicable Federal Financial Reports and Progress Reports must be on file and current.
- All special conditions attached to the award must be satisfied, except for those conditions that must be fulfilled in the remaining period of the award. This criterion also includes the performance and resolution of audits in a timely manner.
- A narrative justification must be submitted with the project or program extension request. Complete details must be provided, including the justification and the extraordinary circumstances which require the proposed extension. The recipient must explain the effect a denial of the request will have on the project or program.
- You should receive a response from us within 15 working days of receipt of the request.
- To avoid the need to make a request to extend the obligation or expenditure deadline of a block/formula program, all subawards should have been completed at least six months prior to the end of the obligation deadline for the award.
Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program awards have new requirements for requesting no-cost extensions. The recipient should contact the BJA grant manager for the additional requirements.
Project Extension Facts
- The maximum extension allowable for any project period is generally 12 months.
- Generally, requests for retroactive extension of project periods may not be considered.
- Generally, only one extension per award will be permitted.
- A request for an extension of the obligation period of a program beyond 12 months must be justified by extraordinary circumstances beyond the control of the recipient and subrecipient.
- Extension of the expenditure deadline date is allowable for all awards (including the State Victim Assistance Grant Program and State Victim Compensation Grant Program) upon email notification that the submission of the request through the GAN module in GMS was approved by the awarding agency.