Refund of Federal Grant Monies and/or Program Income
Award recipients should report the amount of Federal funds returned (unobligated balance of Federal funds) on line 10(h) of the final SF-425, and any unexpended program income returned on line 10(o) of the final SF-425.
If funds must be returned at award closeout, you should remit:
- A check made payable to the U.S. Department of Justice/Office of Justice Programs;
- A cover letter or voucher containing the grant award number for the refund, the unobligated balance, and an itemization of funds (e.g., the amount to be applied to excess payments, interest-income, program income, questioned costs, and so forth); and
- A copy of the final SF-425 report which reconciles the amount of the refund.
If the financial reconciliation process reveals that a refund is due to OJP, the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Customer Service Branch will contact you to request the funds owed. All refunds must be submitted to OJP by check.
- All checks will be converted into an electronic funds transfer (EFT).
- The account information from the check will be scanned and stored. OJP will debit the account for the amount specified on the check within 24 hours.
- You will not receive a cancelled check from the bank.
- OJP will destroy all checks; however, the information from the check necessary to process the payment will be stored electronically.
If the EFT is returned for insufficient funds, OJP will process the transfer two more times. OJP may charge a processing fee for insufficient funds.
All refund checks and letters should be submitted to:
Office of Justice Programs
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
ATTN: Accounting Control Branch
810 Seventh Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20531