3.9 Allowable Costs
Travel expenses are allowable costs for employees who are in travel status on official business related to the award. These costs must be in accordance with Federal policy or an organizationally approved travel policy.
For domestic travel, award recipients may follow their own established travel rates.
- The Office of the Chief Financial Officer reserves the right to determine the reasonableness of those rates.
- If you do not have a written travel policy, you must abide by the Federal travel policy.
- Subrecipients of States must follow their State’s established travel policies.
- If a State does not have an established travel policy, the subrecipient must abide by the Federal travel policy including per diem rates.
- The current travel policy and per diem rate information is available at the Per Diem Rates section of the U.S. General Services Administration website.
Foreign travel is defined as any travel outside of Mexico, Canada and the United States and its Territories and possessions.
- For an award recipient or subrecipient located outside Mexico, Canada and the United States and its Territories and possessions, foreign travel means travel outside that country.
- Prior approval is required for all foreign travel (see Chapter 3.6).