Welcome to OCR’s online civil rights training program for recipients of Federal financial assistance either awarded directly from OJP, the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW), and the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) or awarded through another recipient.
Recipients of financial assistance from OJP, OVW, and COPS must comply with the Federal statutes and regulations that prohibit discrimination in Federally assisted programs or activities. Recipients may not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, and disability. They also may not discriminate in the delivery of services or benefits on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, and age. OCR offers training to recipients of OJP, OVW, and COPS funding to assist them in meeting their Federal civil rights obligations. As part of its training efforts, OCR has developed this online civil rights training curriculum for recipients. This training, which consists of six segments and accompanying self-tests, is designed to provide recipients with an overview of applicable nondiscrimination laws and the general civil rights obligations that are tied to grants awarded by the Department of Justice. The OCR offers this online version of its training program to ensure that recipients who are unable to participate in an in-person training session can still receive valuable technical assistance.
The six training programs are:
- What is the Office for Civil Rights and What Laws Does It Enforce?
- What are the Standard Assurances and How Does the Office for Civil Rights Enforce Civil Rights Laws?
- What are the Civil Rights Obligations of State Administering Agencies?
- What Obligations Do Recipients of Justice Department Funding Have to Provide Services to Limited English Proficient (LEP) Persons?
- What are the Civil Rights Laws that Affect Funded Faith-Based Organizations?
- What Civil Rights Protections Do American Indians Have in Programs Funded by the Justice Department? What are the Obligations of Funded Indian Tribes?
All six Civil Rights training programs are available by clicking here.